Wednesday, October 03, 2007

EDM #56 and Helen's class 5

Helen had us do an interesting set of drawings, starting with an out of focus slide that you could barely see the face features. She suggested charcoal and gum eraser so you could pull out highlights. Working from general to specific information, every few minutes she focused and made the image more concise. I guess the same general principal as squinting at your subject to determine light and darks and general composition. I've worked very little with portraiture so it was quite a challenge for me. These are 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 8B graphite on card stock. (charcoal is so messy) I always think I'll get back to them and finish........on to the next thing. Someone asked for an ugly subject for the 3rd one, those are extended lips! For that one I used a pen and did not darken the features as I knew I would not have the option to pull out lights.

My quick self portrait is hard to post as I've heard others express. It is also pen on card stock, doesn't look like me, I've given myself bigger eyes and I look younger than I am. Helen's exercises gave me a little confidence to try. I would feel acomplished if I could draw a person that actually like them. I will keep trying.










3 comments:

Nina Johansson said...

Beautiful drawings, very expressive. Going from blurry to focused sounds like a really good drawing exercise, I´ll have to try it. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn, thank you for tyour comment on my self portrait but I've actually fiddled since I haven't posted all my previous attempts. You've been more courageous than me. I must say this one is very nice, really expressive.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful drawings. That one with the mouth as a big round hole beings back memories of Pink Floyd. Very expressive indeed. Great work!